Sunday, May 10, 2009

Star Trek

Kirk and the gang, although Spock was otherwise occupied.

You knew I would, of course. I went with my son to see the new Star Trek movie on opening day. Somehow, I was able to wait until 10PM to watch in the theatre with the digital projector. Since you've all been anxiously awaiting my review. . .

The very, very short, Twitter version: "GO!"

The longer version: This is a very, VERY well-done movie, at least from the standpoint of a long-time Trek fan. I've been watching Star Trek since I was in second grade, a wee lad of 7, and this is the best episode/movie of the entire franchise. Period. Some have said this is the best science fiction movie ever, and I might be convinced to go along with that opinion. This is what Trek would have been with the film technology of today. The essence of the show, its personalities, its relationships, and so forth are faithfully reproduced, and enhanced. And there is action, a heck of a lot of action. And lots of toys, equipment, and a shiny new Enterprise. I must confess, I had a smile from ear to ear when the new ship appeared, in a scene totally remniscent of the first Star Trek movie from 1978. At least this time, J.J. Abrams kept the pace going, far better than the counterpart from almost 31 years ago.

As you have probably heard in the preliminary reviews, two phrases have been bandied about, "Star Trek Reboot" and "This ain't your father's Star Trek." I'm not going to provide any spoilers, but suffice it to say, both statements are true and accurate. Mostly. You'll understand when you see it. And you should. Five stars from Dalai.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Dalai,

I have to agree with you on your 5-star rating!!!! Curious.....do you treat your patients like BONES was treating James T. Kirk?

May you and your Blog "live long and prosper"!

Coffee Nomad said...

i was so impressed by this new Star Trek, from character development to action effects to the fluidity of the plot... IMO this is the best Star Trek ever

roentgen said...

5 stars from me too! I watched it with my wife, a non-trekker, and she enjoyed it thoroughly as well. In my opinion, this is probably the best Star Trek movie...ever.